sprouts

sprouts
Broccoli Sprouts

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Tiny Bite of Deliciousness

Four years ago I started Yellow Wonder alpine strawberry seeds. They weren't difficult to germinate, but I had a hard time keeping the conditions ideal for continued growth, so in the end I had two healthy plants. When we moved a year and a half ago I dug up those two plants and brought them to our new garden. I separated them into about 10 plants and this year I am finally reaping the rewards of all the effort I have put into these plants.

alpine strawberries

tiny jewels

These strawberries are a lovely creamy color with yellow seeds. They are extremely delicate and don't hold up long after picking. 










The plants do not send out runners and can be separated every couple of years. The berries are small and delicate with an aroma reminiscent of pineapple. The texture is almost butter-like and the flavor is sweet and mild.







This particular bunch went into a delicious smoothie for lunch. I have also served them with angel food cake and whipped cream. Both were delicious. These berries produce all season so I'm looking forward to enjoying them in many ways. I'm hoping for enough at one time to make a batch of jam. Here's to hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment