sprouts

sprouts
Broccoli Sprouts

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree

plums


Last spring, shortly after buying our Syracuse house, we planted 4 fruit trees. I love the new trees that have several varieties grafted onto on tree. We bought a plum tree with 4 varieties. We also planted an apricot, white peach, an espalier apple tree with 6 different grafts (my favorite tree ever!).
espaleir apple tree

fuji apple branch


I'm delighted with the amount of fruit on the trees this spring. All 4 trees were bare root so I didn't expect much for a couple of years. The plum tree grew quite a bit this past year. The white peach is still tiny, but has the most fruit. I keep telling myself to pick half of them off so the remaining fruit can get bigger, but I have never been good at thinning fruit trees. For some reason I feel guilty.


white peach tree

white peaches
There is just nothing better than walking into your own yard and picking something to eat. In the next couple of days apricots will be ready to pick. Apricots don't ship well, so I'm excited to walk out back and eat perfectly ripe, sweet, aromatic apricots right off the tree!

nearly ripe apricots

No comments:

Post a Comment