sprouts

sprouts
Broccoli Sprouts

Monday, June 25, 2012

The Power of Shade

Peas at the end of June?

Sugar Snap Peas
 This year I planted two beds in the shade and I am amazed at the gorgeous spring crops that are still going strong. I have never had lettuce make it into July without bolting. Right now, my lettuce still looks and tastes amazing. I also have lovely broccoli, kale, radishes, and strawberries. 

hummus and peas for dinner  
With temperatures hitting 100 with a blazing hot, dry wind, I plan to add shade cloth to the bed tomorrow to see if that will drop the temperature more and extend the life of my spring greens even longer. The best part is having ripe tomatoes at the same time as my spring greens.
To celebrate the tender, sweet peas I whipped up a quick batch of hummus in my fabulous Blendtec blender. 
Recipe
2 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 Clove Garlic, Peeled
2 tbsp Tahini
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1 Can Garbanzo Beans, drained (15 oz can)
1/4 Cup of liquid drained from Garbanzo Beans

Throw it all in the blender and blend until smooth. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment