sprouts

sprouts
Broccoli Sprouts

Monday, March 15, 2010

Spring Has Sprung! (at least in my heart)


It looks as though Spring is finally pushing its way out of the freezing grip of winter's rock hard soil. It is my favorite time of year. I get so excited planning and preparing for my yard to burst into life! There are tons of green sprouts emerging outside and the leaf buds are bulging on the trees. It also looks as though the daffodils will be blooming soon. Everyday there is new life in our yard.

Today Miah and I went out and cleared the front flower beds, trimmed up some bushes and trees, and planted our first seeds. So far we have planted four varieties of basil, purple cauliflower, broccoli, broccolini, three kinds of peppers, and eggplant. All the vegetables we plant are heirloom varieties. The flavors and colors of heirloom varieties are far more interesting and flavorful than the standard nursery collection.

Last year my gardening friend Cori and I went crazy with the Baker Creek seed catalog. This year we went to see our friends at Kenyon Organics, a local Salt Lake company, and bought our seeds. We kept things under control this year and only purchased 30 varieties of seeds. Of course, I also managed to order 17 varieties of tomatoes that I will pick up further into the season. Time to start mapping out the beds!

Today I also decided to recycle my City Weekly and turn it into free seed starting pots. Last year I saw an article online that showed me how to turn old newspaper into pots instead of buying the Jiffy pots I normally use. Did you know you can also use old newspapers as a weed barrier? Just put thick layers around your plants. They slowly break down over time and get recycled into the soil. I like to cover mine with a layer of leaves or mulch so it looks nicer.

Enough for today. Time for dinner and relaxation with the husband.

No comments:

Post a Comment